Go Into The Story Interview: Geeta Malik

2016 Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting winner.

Geeta Malik wrote the original screenplay "Dinner With Friends" which won a 2016 Nicholl Fellowship in Screenwriting. Recently I had the opportunity to chat with Geeta about her background, her award-winning script, the craft of screenwriting, and what winning the Nicholl has meant to her.

Geeta Malik

Here are links to the six installments of the entire interview:

Part 1: "I was awful and distracted with the math and science, because I was constantly writing stories and poems in the margins of my papers and not paying attention."

Part 2: "If I say I'm writing a drama, it feels like something heavy and scary, whereas if I call it a comedy, I feel like I can be a little bit looser."

Part 3: " I definitely wanted to address it [patriarchy] directly because it is something I saw all the time growing up."

Part 4: "For some of us, after having kids, things do end up seeming less important — things that you once considered to be a permanent part of your identity."

Part 5: "After I have a first draft, which is always completely a mess because I just sort of vomit my stuff on the page, I'll go back and revise again and again and again. The deeper parts of the story often come from that part of the process."

Part 6: "I'd focus on what you're passionate about. It's very hard to do, especially starting out, because we all want to get reps and get paid! But if your craft is solid, then opportunities will come. It's really important to do something you're proud of."

Geeta is repped by Paradigm and Luber Roklin.


Go Into The Story Interview: Geeta Malik was originally published in Go Into The Story on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.

Go Into The Story – Medium

Здесь можно оставить свои комментарии. Выпуск подготовленплагином wordpress для subscribe.ru

Comments