This is it, your chance to embrace Creativity Meets Productivity!
The 4th Zero Draft Thirty Challenge starts at Midnight tonight Eastern (U.S.) and you are invited… nay, encouraged to participate in this free writing adventure.
Write an entire draft of a script in March — FADE IN. FADE OUT. Or any sort of creative goal you have in front of you.
Feature length movie screenplay. Original TV pilot. Rewrite a current project. Break a story in prep. Generate a month's worth of story concepts.
Whatever you feel will ratchet your creative ambitions into overdrive…
Here are 10 damn good reasons why you should take up the Zero Draft Thirty 2017 Spring Challenge:
1. It is better to write than not to write.
2. You cannot make a script work for you (i.e., representation, meetings, option, sale) unless you write a script.
3. Just 4 pages per day gets you through an entire draft in 1 month.
4. Once you finish your draft, you will have an actual story you can work on, not just an illusion in your mind.
5. You will have the collective energy of hundreds of other Challenge writers at your back.
6. Writing a Zero Draft takes the pressure off in terms of quality as your only goal is to get to The End.
7. You will embark on a journey of discovery which will reveal so much more about your story than you know now.
8. The 30 day structure will motivate you to write every day.
9. You will give your creative life and aspirations a huge jolt of energy.
10. Zero Draft Thirty is great way to transform Perfectionism and Procrastination into Productivity.
Plus there's this: Your very own Zero Draft Thirty 2017 Spring Challenge Calendar designed and created by Bretton Zinger.
You download the calendar here, then keep track of your progress!
It's amazing how something as tangible as a calendar can serve as a motivational tool, so I encourage you to make use of it.
Here's how this will work: Each day in March, I'll upload a Zero Draft Thirty post here at Go Into The Story with inspirational quotes, videos, and bestow The Anita Loos Award on some lucky writer. Plus I'll be dole out the occasional blast of creative juju for Challenge writers.
If you really want to get in the spirit of things, join the Zero Draft Thirty Facebook group, a terrific collection of 1700+ folks who post things every day, even when we're not in a challenge.
Look, if you're an aspiring screenwriter or TV writer, you should be writing at least 2 spec scripts per year. That's why we'll be running the ZD30 Challenge twice in 2017 — March and again in September. If you're a working writer, my advice is to write 1 spec per year like many pro Hollywood writers I know do.
The more scripts you write, the more chances you have to create something which makes a positive impression and perhaps even get produced. In the process, you become a better, more proficient writer.
The Zero Draft Thirty 2017 Spring Challenge.
March 1: Type FADE IN / In the Beginning.
March 31: Type FADE OUT / The End.
It's cool! It's crazy! It's free!
I'll be kicking off things tonight right at Midnight with the initial writing scamper of the March Challenge, so join me, won't you?
And spread the word!
Twitter hashtag: #ZD30SCRIPT.
Zero Draft Thirty 2017 Spring Challenge: 1 Day and Counting! was originally published in Go Into The Story on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.